Saturday, May 24, 2008

Little Tidbits



I just got a text message from Leif that says "I just saw a guy with a big beauty queen type ribbon, you gotta love Russia!". Pageants are very popular here in the spring- for everyone, guys and girls.

We went to a children’s choir concert to see our friends’ kids last weekend, and it was SO GOOD! It was kind of humorous how professional it was and how the kids opened their mouths funny-wide, but they sounded really good. It was neat because they sang “Silent Night” and “Joy to the World”. Of course, it’s not the Christmas season, but the words to these songs are being instilled into the childrens’ minds. A difference between American and Russian culture that we've noticed is that American kids are typically encouraged to participate in many activities- sports, dance, music, etc. If Russian kids do something, it is one thing and it is taken very seriously. We talked with a high school Canadian exchange student last night who's here. He wrestled in Canada and thought it would be fun to do it in Russia, too. He made it until January and then he stopped because he was exhausted. It took up every evening and he never saw his host family because wrestling became his life. He said he could hardly lift his arms anymore, they were so weary!

Something here that I sometimes think is nice and sometimes is frustrating is that most places sell things individually. If you only want to buy one battery, they open the package and just give you one. If you only want 5 thumb-tacks, your wish is granted. But it can be annoying when you want to buy a whole package. I wanted to buy a package of straws, but it had already been opened. The lady put her fingers on every single straw (there were 95!) to count them. Also, a store near us sells disposable diapers, but they sell them individually. I would feel funny asking for 30!!

Anneka is very fascinated with her teeth. She has five now. (well, the fifth is poking through). She grinds her teeth together and it drives me crazy! Any ideas on how to get her to stop? Also, she ATE part of her book the other day! She took a big chunk out of it right in front of my eyes. Oh, dear.

2 comments:

This Is The Day said...

Haha, it sounds like life over there is pretty interesting. :) Kariya ground her teeth for a while too. We would just tap her cheek and say, "No, no." She eventually stopped. I feel for you...I remember how hard it is on you nerves to listen to that all day long! I'm glad you found some straws, too bad the clerk had to count each one. :) I miss you and your sense of humor Jami!

Anonymous said...

Your writing style and your spot-on and observant descriptions of life in Russia are awesome. I think you notice those weird little things that I do and find them just as curious and mystifying. :o) It is so fun to hear about these things from you...

Hmn. Solomon does not grind his teeth, so I have no tips for you. He does chew his toe-nails soemtimes, though. Gross. :o)