Sunday, May 04, 2008

Busy Girl



Anneka loves her walker and has gotten quite proficient at using it. She loves to use it to get into things- watching her while she's in her walker is a full time job! She's very fast and likes to ram into your legs if you're not careful. She also has a special interest in the garbage can. We're thankful it has a cover.

Before we left for the States, last summer, we commissioned some guys from a Christian rehabilitation center to make these shelves for us. When we came back, the shelves were all made and standing in our hallway! Living in a small apartment, you have to find creative ways to make more space. I love these shelves, and think they're great for Anneka's toys and books.

A lot of times after men are in prison and/or have histories of a lot of drug and alcohol use, it's really difficult for them to find jobs. This rehabilitation center is so neat in that it provides jobs for these men through carpentry... and it's a great deal for us! The shelves were about $45. What is even cooler, I think, about this center, is that the guys spend months just reading their Bibles. That's it. Sometimes they do it in groups and sometimes alone, but that's the main part of the "rehabilitation". And you know what? These guys' lives are changed for forever. At first they hate it and think it's so boring/stupid/pointless to read the Bible so much. But then God's words penetrate into their hearts, and they are changed. It's really evident in meeting these guys that they are new men.

We've been sick this week and are still in the process of getting better. It's so silly, but I feel like it's my fault if Anneka has a cold because people here will tell me it's because I didn't dress her warm enough or I went outside with her when it was windy... and I start to kind of believe it. The last three days I've just kept her home, letting her sleep a lot. Today she was barreling around in her walker between coughs, so I think she's on the road back to health.

2 comments:

DouloScott said...

Wow...what a speed demon. She looks like she's having fun. How cool about the rehab center God is great.

Anonymous said...

How funny that she barrels around, heads for the garbage can, and rams people. She's going through a "hearty little Siberian baby" phase. : ) Erin