

We're all familiar with no smoking signs and no parking signs that have a picture or a letter or a word with a diagonal slash through it. Well, an interesting use of that here is city signs. Instead of having signs that say entering or exiting such-and-such city, they have signs like those above. This sign happens to be for ЗАСУХИНО (Zasukhino) which is a very small town between Ulan-Ude and Lake Baikal. When I think about it it makes a lot of sense, but because of the context I associate it with it feels harsh like, "this is Zasukhino," and, "this is NOT Zasukhino," or, "we are anti-Zasukhino." I feel like I can't really put in into words, but hopefully you enjoy another little taste of Russia, and can laugh with us.
1 comment:
Hi!
No, you two don't know me (as far as I know), so you can stop trying to figure out who I am :) I'm a swedish guy, 23 years old, and my name is Anders Solberg.
Two years ago I was in Ulan-Ude on a missions trip with Light for the Peoples. We stayed for a short while in Ulan-Ude and then went on to Novokizjinginsk and Charashibir. Since then I've sometimes had the thought of going back on my mind - I really loved the country, dispite all my prejudices... :) I'm currently studying to be a pastor and I'm quite sure that God is calling me to work here in Sweden, but I'm thinking of coming to Buryatia for like a year or something and maybe help out in the congregation in Novokizjinginsk.
Now, the problem is that I can't speak russian very well - yet. (I know maybe 40 words or something) But I'd like to learn. So I'm wondering if you happen to know if there are any russian courses for beginners in Ulan-Ude? The best would be something like a summer course that I could attend, before spending an academic year in Novokizjinginsk.
I's been pretty difficult to find any information on the internet, but maybe you who are on-site and who I suppose must have had some sort of language training, know where to look?
By the way, your names sound very swedish to me (actually both "Gustafson" and "Leif" - not so much "Jami", sorry ;) Do you have ancestors from Sweden?
I would love to recieve an e-mail (solberg.a@gmail.com) from you if you know anything about language courses in Ulan-Ude.
God bless you both! /Anders
Post a Comment