Jami had just left the kitchen after a relaxed breakfast on our day off when she asked me this in jest. I thought there was maybe a hint of smoke from one of the neighbors as you sometimes get here through the apartment building ventilation systems. The overpowering smell that hit me in the face as I stepped out of the kitchen made me think it was something more. At first we were worried that maybe something had burned in our apartment so we scrambled around to make sure everything was in order. As I was looking I decided to check outside, and as I parted the curtains, this is the scene that met me. Through thick smoke I could see the smoldering flames of a fire on the "grassy" knoll behind our apartment building. Of course I say "grassy" because there are some sprouts of grass mixed in the dirt and sand and weeds and dead leaves. I could make out some figures in the background and quickly realized what was going on. Just like people in the states will sometimes burn slash or fields or different things, here they burn the leaves that have fallen to the ground. They do a little bit of piling, but it reminds me more of burning fields. It definitly puts a lot of smoke into the air, especially if it is right by your apartment. After a few moments of relief and laughing, I thought I should get a picture. I wish I had thought of it right away when the smoke was thicker, but I think this picture gives the idea. Burning is very common here... pray for our lungs! This picture also shows the bars that protect our window. Everyone has bars on their windows and balconies for safety. This is where we live!
Monday, November 06, 2006
"Have you been smoking in the bathroom again?"
Jami had just left the kitchen after a relaxed breakfast on our day off when she asked me this in jest. I thought there was maybe a hint of smoke from one of the neighbors as you sometimes get here through the apartment building ventilation systems. The overpowering smell that hit me in the face as I stepped out of the kitchen made me think it was something more. At first we were worried that maybe something had burned in our apartment so we scrambled around to make sure everything was in order. As I was looking I decided to check outside, and as I parted the curtains, this is the scene that met me. Through thick smoke I could see the smoldering flames of a fire on the "grassy" knoll behind our apartment building. Of course I say "grassy" because there are some sprouts of grass mixed in the dirt and sand and weeds and dead leaves. I could make out some figures in the background and quickly realized what was going on. Just like people in the states will sometimes burn slash or fields or different things, here they burn the leaves that have fallen to the ground. They do a little bit of piling, but it reminds me more of burning fields. It definitly puts a lot of smoke into the air, especially if it is right by your apartment. After a few moments of relief and laughing, I thought I should get a picture. I wish I had thought of it right away when the smoke was thicker, but I think this picture gives the idea. Burning is very common here... pray for our lungs! This picture also shows the bars that protect our window. Everyone has bars on their windows and balconies for safety. This is where we live!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Whew...I'm glad it wasn't your apartment!
I love the story and can totally relate! We have what I affectionately call our 10:30am second -hand smoke break. That is when the neihbor below smokes and it infiltrates our whole apartment. Russia is different. We'll pray for your lungs if you pray for ours! We're praying for you guys! Tell Dianna we say hello and send our love! Tell her to come visit us too! =)
Walking into the office in Orlando this morning I was reminded of that smell and I was reminded of Ulan Ude and just how much I miss it. The Lord knew how I was feeling and as I read your blog I couldn't help but smile. Thanks for sharing. Hugs from afar :-)
Post a Comment